This Thanksgiving Day, I have a lot to be thankful for. All the usual things, such as my health, my beautiful family, my super cool new house. I have plenty to be thankful for, indeed. And because I have a pathologic need to make lists to keep myself organized (or at least, to help me feel like I am organized), here is a Top Ten list of things that I am thankful for on this particular Thanksgiving Day, 2009.
10. Thanksgiving Day football – because I won’t be able to watch any football on Sunday.
9. Fly swatters – because flies at the Thanksgiving Dinner table are so uncouth.
8. Rich and Jacquie – who gave us a kick ass bottle of wine (I know that it was hard for you to give that bottle away, Rich – so thanks!).
7. The new fireplace – even though it still smells smokey, it is so nice and toasty. And it warms my heart to see all four of our kitties huddled around it, napping in pure kitty heaven.
6. Acorns – my girls have been collecting them all morning, making it possible for me to clean up the house and to cook.
5. Facebook – because it is great to see what all of my friends are doing today.
4. Vaseline – because it will remove the “dots” Chloe applied to her cheeks, trying to make freckles.
3. My in-laws – because without them, my husband wouldn’t exist. And because they found us our new house. And they make great babysitters for the girls. And because they are two very nice people.
2. My husband – because without him, my girls wouldn’t exist. And because he is quite possibly the most wonderful man I have ever met.
1. My girls, Chloe and Ella – because without them, I wouldn’t exist. They have taught me how to be a more patient, more kind and more loving person than I ever thought possible.